What made Marsa Alam the preferred city for Europeans traveling to Egypt recently?
Marsa Alam is a city that shines like a precious gem in the vast desert of Egypt. It is located on the Red Sea coast, offering visitors a breathtaking escape from the hustle and bustle of city life. For those who yearn to be mesmerized by stunning coral reefs, adventurous water sports, and the rich, vibrant underwater world of the Red Sea, there is no destination more enchanting than Marsa Alam.
This hidden treasure has recently become a popular destination for European travelers seeking relaxation, adventure, and the perfect getaway from the mundane. With warm weather year-round and miles of pristine, sandy beaches to explore, it is no wonder why Marsa Alam has become a must-visit destination. In this article, we will discuss why Marsa Alam is becoming the #1 choice for European travelers visiting Egypt in the recent couple of years.
Table of Contents
What made Marsa Alam the preferred city for Europeans traveling to Egypt recently?
- Where is Marsa Alam & what makes its location unique?
- The weather in Marsa Alam is heaven for anyone suffering from the harsh European winter.
- Safety in Marsa Alam.
- How to choose the best hotels for your vacation in Marsa Alam & what are the best beaches there
- Things to do in Marsa Alam.
Historical background about the city.
Marsa Alam is an Egyptian city with a rich history that dates back to ancient times. The city was once a major trading port during the reign of the pharaohs, serving as an important economic hub for the Red Sea region. Prior to that, it was a small village for fishermen.
Over the centuries, Marsa Alam continued to play a role in the trade and commerce of the area, attracting visitors from all over the world in addition to that in the Islamic era It become the central hub for gathering all the Egyptians traveling to Mecca of Saudi Arabia for Pilgrimage.
Advantages of the Location of Marsa Alam.
Located on the western Red Sea coast in the south-eastern region of Egypt. Marsa Alam is about 760 km south of the capital city, Cairo, and approximately 210 km south of Hurghada. The city is surrounded by stunning desert landscapes and crystal-clear waters. Its location is almost near everything & places you might visit giving it a competitive advantage same like Hurghada over other cities.
Here are the distances from Marsa Alam to other Egyptian cities to get the Idea.
location of Marsa Alam gives its visitors a great opportunity to visit the main other Egyptian tourist destinations for instance:
Al Qusir - is approximately 120 km to the north along the Red Sea coast where you could Visit the Old Town dating back to the Ottoman era. You can stroll through the narrow streets and admire the well-preserved architecture. Or you may be interested in diving & snorkeling as the city has some of the best spots for Snorkeling & diving in the red sea, furthermore, you could explore the 16th-century fortress built by the Ottomans. The fort is located on a small hill and offers stunning views of the town and the Red Sea.
Port Ghaleb is approximately 35 km to the south. Port Ghalib is known for its luxury resorts and marina, one of the largest on the Red Sea.
The town was built in the 1990s as a joint venture between the Egyptian government and a private company to promote tourism in the region. It has since become a major tourist destination, offering a range of activities such as diving, snorkeling, boat trips, and desert safaris.
Luxor – is Approximately 268 km northeast of Marsa Alam, and who does not know Luxor! Luxor is home to some of the most significant ancient Egyptian landmarks and attracts millions of tourists from all over the world every year where you can Visit the Karnak Temple the largest ancient religious site in the world, in addition to exploring the Valley of the Kings - a vast burial ground that houses tombs of some of Egypt's greatest Pharaohs, including Tutankhamun and Ramses II. And much more.
Aswan – is Approximately 631 km southwest of Marsa Alam, Aswan is a beautiful city in Upper Egypt, known for its stunning natural beauty and rich history where you can visit the Aswan High Dam and Lake Nasser, or may be Visiting the Philae Temple - an ancient temple complex dedicated to the goddess Isis and is located on an island in the Nile River. The temple is known for its beautiful architecture and carvings. You could also take a Nile River Cruise where you can enjoy a leisurely cruise on a traditional Felucca boat or a luxury Nile River cruise ship and enjoy the stunning scenery along the river.
Hurghada – is Approximately 210 km north of Marsa Alam, Hurghada is a great destination known for its amazing beaches and diving spots. Hurghada is full of activities for tourists for instance, diving, snorkeling, water sports, Safari, and much more.
Sharm El Sheikh – is Approximately 450 km northwest of Marsa Alam, Sharm El Sheikh is a beautiful coastal city in Egypt, known for its stunning beaches and unique coral reefs where you could explore the Ras Mohammed National Park - this beautiful marine reserve has some of the best coral reefs in the world and is home to a diverse marine life, or take a diving or snorkeling trip or visit the old city.
Cairo - Approximately 770 km north of Marsa Alam, Cairo is the capital city of Egypt and it is filled with so many activities and attractions. Of course, Visiting the Great Pyramids of Giza and the Sphinx is at the top list of activities you might want to do there.
Several airlines operate flights from Europe to Marsa Alam International Airport. Some of the airlines are:
- - Egypt Air
- - TUI Airways
- - EasyJet
- - TUI Fly
- - Condor
- - Eurowings
- - Thomas Cook Airlines
- - Corendon Airlines
- - Jet2
- - Norwegian Air Shuttle
Please note that airline schedules and availability may vary based on the season and other factors.
The weather in Marsa Alam is heaven for anyone suffering from the harsh European winter.
Marsa Alam has a desert climate with hot and dry summers and warm winters. The average temperature in Marsa Alam ranges from 24°C to 36°C throughout the year. Get to know more about the weather in Marsa Alam & the best months for your vacation.
Safety in Marsa Alam.
Egypt is generally a safe country for visitors, especially in Marsa Alam where the kindness, warmness & smiley faces of local citizens of Upper Egypt demonstrates the situation.
How to choose the best hotels for your vacation in Marsa Alam & what are the best beaches there
Marsa Alam is a great destination for a beach holiday and has a variety of hotels to cater to every budget and preference. Here are some popular hotels in Marsa Alam:
1. Steigenberger Coraya Beach: A luxurious beachfront hotel offering all-inclusive packages and a secluded beach.
2. Jaz Maraya Resort: A stylish resort with multiple dining options, a private beach, and a range of activities.
3. The Three Corners Sea Beach Inn: A budget-friendly option with comfortable rooms and an outdoor pool.
4. Brayka Bay Resort: A spacious resort with a private beach, multiple swimming pools, and a dive center.
5. Royal Tulip Beach Resort: A family-friendly resort offering all-inclusive packages, a water park, a spa, and various activities.
The most popular beaches in Marsa Alam are:
- 1. Abu Dabab Beach: This is a popular beach located south of Marsa Alam. It is known for its beautiful coral reefs, which are home to various species of marine life, including sea turtles, dugongs, and dolphins. The beach is also great for swimming, sunbathing, and snorkeling.
- 2. Marsa Mubarak Beach: This is a stunning beach located near the Marsa Alam marina. It is known for its diverse marine life and coral reefs, making it a popular spot for snorkeling and diving. The beach also offers facilities for picnics and camping.
- 3. Sharm El Luli Beach: This is a picturesque beach located near Berenice. It is a great spot for swimming, snorkeling, and sunbathing. The beach is also home to various species of marine life, including sea turtles, clownfish, and parrotfish.
- 4. Wadi El Gemal Beach: This is a secluded beach located within the Wadi El Gemal National Park. It is a great spot for those looking for a quiet and peaceful beach experience. The beach is also great for snorkeling and diving.
Choosing the best hotels for your vacation in Marsa Alam is somehow difficult, but in order to succussed in this challenge you must consider the purpose of your holiday, the budget, whether you’re coming alone or with your family & finally would you repeat the visit for Marsa Alam again or you’re of the type who visits a destination once in a lifetime!
Marsa Alam is a great destination for beach lovers and diving enthusiasts & history & archeology lovers as well. Here are some things to do and see in Marsa Alam:
- Explore the Wadi El Gamal National Park: A protected area that is home to several rare species. You can take a safari tour, go hiking, or enjoy a picnic in the park.
- Visit Abu Dabbab Beach: Famous for its clear turquoise waters and abundant marine life. It is an ideal spot to go snorkeling or diving.
- Visit the Marsa Alam Port: It is a great spot to watch the boats come in and go out, and the views of the Red Sea are spectacular.
- Go Scuba diving: Marsa Alam has some of the best dive sites in the world, including Elphinstone Reef, Dolphin Reef, and Fury Shoals.
- Take a day trip to Luxor: Marsa Alam is not too far from Luxor, where you will find several ancient Egyptian temples and tombs, including the Valley of the Kings and Karnak Temple.
- if you're an adventure lover, Safari in the desert of Marsa Alam might be the right trip for you.
Finally, if you have any questions related to Marsa Alam do not hesitate to leave us a comment below,